Green banana flour is a naturally gluten-free flour alternative that is packed with resistant starch, a type of fibre, that helps feed the cells found in our colon (the gut), to keep them healthy!
Other sources of resistant starch include cooked and cooled potatoes, rice and pasta, as well as green bananas themselves.
You can get Green Banana Flour from Woolworths (not an ad), or if you’re overseas check the health food aisle or your local health food store.
So here’s the recipe, I will discuss the flavour and texture later in the blog.
Serves: 1 (makes 3 pancakes) | Preparation Time: 5 min | Cooking Time: 10-15 min
1/4 cup green banana flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
75 mL milk of choice
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
Toppings: maple syrup, peanut butter, pepitas, berries
1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, flour, baking powder and chia seeds.
2. Add the milk and egg into the dry ingredients, whisk until well combined.
3. Heat up about 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a pan.
4. Pour in one-third of the mixture into the pan.
5. Cook for 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and place onto a paper towel to pat off excess oils.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the remaining two-thirds of the mixture.
8. Top with your favourites, I used peanut butter, maple syrup, pepitas and fresh berries.
An alternative if the green banana flour flavour is too much for you is to use half blended oats (just whiz in a blender or food processor) and half green banana flour. The texture was pretty impressive given it’s gluten-free (be sure to not forget the baking powder to get some fluffiness!) The smell from the packet was very strong and very much of green or under ripe bananas, as it cooked it started to smell sweeter and more like bananas. I think if you were to have them plain the flavour may be a bit too over-powering as it is almost a nutty flavour.
Here’s to a happy gut!
Tag me @the_dietologist if you give these a go, I love seeing you all try out my recipes!